Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Thing # 5: Microblogging (11.5 Things)

I found the small scale form of blogging known as microblogging absolutely fascinating. I really got into Facebook and setting that up for the past few days...did I say days....yes I did! I have gotten in touch with people I have not seen nor heard from since we graduated high school so many moons ago! What an awesome way to reconnect and stay connected! As a teacher, this would be cool to have a Facebook students could get to. I don't know how that would work though...my daughter had a 5th grade teacher who had a web page a few years back and I thought that was awesome! It was a great way to stay connected with what was going on in her classroom. She posted HW assignments, announcements, and even photos! I know Facebook is very popular with the young crowd and when used correctly and respectfully can be a valuable tool for them! Cyberbullying is a dangerous thing and kids need to be educated as to the effects of it on others. Anyway, I am straying.....
Now about twittering....this I have not explored as in depth, but seems like another great tool to stay connected. I really liked Laura Walkers article "Nine Great Reasons Why Teachers Should Use Twitter". I like the fact that you develop your own list of people to follow and you have to express yourself in 140 characters or less - that takes self-discipline! Overall, Mrs. Walker sums it up very well by saying, "We need to be able to speak the same language as our kids in order to motivate and relate to them".
Now on Back-Channeling....I do not see this working in my classroom setting, but definately in a college/lecture setting or at a large teacher inservice or conference.

No comments: