Thursday, June 18, 2009

Thing # 3: Like Skype (11.5 Things)

I can see Skype being useful in the classroom with classes talking to other classes from all over the world about an endless number of topics. Videoconferencing is so popular now. Its on Oprah and almost every television talk and news program. It is inevitable that this ends up in the classroom. I went ahead and set up my account and began to add contacts (only have one so far). Anybody want to send me their username? Anyway, it was very easy to do and I went ahead through the steps to change the privacy settings so I would not forget. Just sounded too scary to leave it open for just anyone to contact you. It would be so cool to talk to kids in other parts of the country and see what they are learning about physics. Or what other teachers are doing. Skype is such a great opportunity to open up your classroom to the entire world and share with others what you know and what you want to know. I also think it is a cool way to conference with parents when they are unable to make it up to school or when Dad is off on a business trip and can't make it in person, we can still include him with Skype. The possibilities are endless!!

2 comments:

Cooking Librarian said...

I like your idea about parent conferences. My nephew is in Iraq now, but Skype would allow him to keep up with his children's classes and teachers! Fortunately, he already "sees" his family via Internet every other day or so.

Susanna said...

I agree. Great idea for parent conferencing.