Friday, July 10, 2009

Thing # 9: Slideshare (11.5 things)

I think students in today's classroom would find Slideshare a very useful and resourceful way for them to share what they know and also search for what they need to find out. As a teacher, I have gone online and come across other Power Points that have been created on topics that we teach. They can be very useful. We have even downloaded these Power Points, changed them up to fit our students' needs, and used them in our teaching.
I have not heard the term "Slideshare" before nor the lingo that defines it as a Power Point hosting service. Slideshare was developed to share PowerPoints; it is ideal for getting ideas for presentations (great research tool for both students and teachers); and you can include narration with your PowerPoint that you decide to Slideshare. I viewed an example of a Slideshare called "Top 10 Reasons Libraries are Still Important". The slides were funny, but there was no sound which was disappointing.
Digital Inspiration has a great article listing the most popular hosting services for getting your PowerPoint online and I found Splashcast to be the one I would go with. I like how it was described as a "one size fits all" web player. It sounds very convenient and easy to me (I like that!). Splashcast allows you to embed PowerPoint presentations, Word documents, MP3 songs, videos, and photographs right inside one player. It also brags that the effects between slides are very impressive. This would attract students to use it!

No comments: