Friday, July 17, 2009

Thing # 10 Virtual Worlds (11.5 Things)

OK....the virtual world thing is pretty foreign to me. I went ahead and joined SecondLife and named my person. It took a while to get used to the movement of her, but it was cool to be able to walk up to people and begin a conversation. I asked this girl who was standing reading some billboards where I could go to get some new clothes and she replied instantly that she was new and looking for that too. I can definately see kids getting into this. My daughter likes to play the Sims game - she has not in a while due to lack of time and it just does not interest her as much as when she first began and played. My sons sometimes will play games online where they chat with other players, most they know from school, and it is just amazing to me that this is the kind of games that are out there for kids these days. I would never have believed it back then if you had told me my children would be playing such interactive games communicating with other players halfway around the world at times. It is just amazing!

Although I teach 4th grade and in order to be a player you have to be 18 or older on a lot of these games, I could still go on and have my students watch as I enter many virtual realms that are educational. I learned that there are virtual campuses where students can meet, attend classes, and create content together. I read also that SecondLife has a professional development medium for educators so I went to check it out. Well, I did not get to far with my girl. I am still too new at moving her and getting her to go where I want her to. But, I read that there is shared learning among educators, networking, a place to run inworld seminars, conferences, and symposia on learning and creativity related to virtual worlds. I am very impressed with the possibilities SecondLife has to offer. I would think high school and college students with appropriate guidance would be able to utilize this program to their best advantage. Like I've said before...."Things...they are a changin' ".

1 comment:

Teacher Mommy said...

Interesting. I'm working on this one tonight.