Monday, July 28, 2008

Thing # 16 Wikis

The Common Craft Video: "Wikis in Plain English" reminded me that I attended a session at a conference on this and I did not really "get it". When I saw it this go 'round it started making sense. I am the type of person though who needs to have hands-on experience with something like wikis in order to completely feel comfortable with it. I can see this being used personally with planning our family reunion. With relatives scattered all over the United States, planning a reunion with wikis makes so much more sense than using emails. My cousin in Oregon tried to get us all together this summer and he started last year to get it organized, but it mostly went by word of mouth and emails. In the end it was cancelled because of lack of organization. I am going to ask him if he has ever heard of wikis!
In the classroom I would love to see students use a wiki when working on a group project. Our students get together once a week for an entire day and a wiki would be a great way for them to keep in touch during the week and keep the planning going. If students did not have access to a computer at home then I am sure we would be able to work something out with our fabulous librarians for students to have computer time while back on their home campuses.

2 comments:

the changing brain said...

I agree that wikis can be so helpful when connecting groups. In my school this year, student groups used a wiki to organize their research for a science class group project. The kids really seemed to enjoy using the wiki, and the teacher loved it that there was just one place to go to see their progress.

Thanks for sharing your learning on your blog!

JAMS said...

I am hoping to use wikis in the fall, too. Your recognition of the ability to organize the class sounds like what I was thinking about. I use lab groups and I suspect, if wisely chosen, projects would be fun and educational for the students.

I really like your blog, by the way.